If You Start it Will They Come?
The short answer is: Only if they know you exist!
Isn't that the truth. Such noise out there!
- Do you shout above the rest?
- Do you find only the people who you think you want to talk to?
- Do you take the attitude that the right people will "somehow" find you?
In as much as Social Media is restating the questions, I think the answers are coming up surprisingly the same. Finding your target market and keeping them engaged it the only way to make a business successful.
How to get someone's attention may be the flavor of the day, and human behavior as experienced on the internet may be a moving target, but there are some things you can count on:
- People are always buying more than a product.
- If the product you have isn't selling, don't assume the product is wrong.
- If the product you have is selling and then NOT, don't assume it's your marketing.
We live in a very "reactive" culture. One minute you're up, next minute you're down. We've been making movies and jokes about this for decades, but it's funny because it's true. So yes, if you start it they may come, but will they buy? Will they tell their friends? Will they come and buy again?
This brings us back to a more "scientific" notion about business plans and experiments. We don't want to waste our time on either without a pretty good notion of what's going to happen. But, if things don't play out the way you hypothesized, re-evaluating with a professional is the next best step.