Sometimes my personal experiences of doing business fall right into my lap as blog posts. As I have said many times, we all need a mentor. This one is as much about me as it is you.
The question I would like to hear more of my clients asking is: What do I need to do to make my business more successful?
Often my initial sessions with folks focus on things that they feel have gone wrong in the past months or the past years. What I hear a lot of is:
- I guess people don't really want the good stuff any more because they're rather shop in a big store.
- Everyone wants something for nothing!
- All I do is work and I feel like no one gets how much work goes into what I do!
- Things just aren't the way they used to be...
Another way of looking at all of their situations is:
- How can I find the people who want the good stuff I make?
- People value what they pay for. How can I rise to the level of getting those folks to pay me?
- How can I tell the amazing story of what I do that will build my brand and what I do?
- Things change all the time. How can I be light on my feet to RESPOND to the constant change?
Change takes work. Having your own business takes an enormous amount of work. The upside is that when everything is going well, you made it happen. It cannot be a one way street: When things go poorly it's everyone else failing you and when things go right, you're a star. Nope. You get both sides, that's the deal.