You need to think about how you communicate in front of others
In Part 2, we talked about how you "identify" to those around you regarding your business relationship. Now I'm going to talk about how you speak in front of others. I bet you know where this is going...
How to keep your personal life out of your business life!
It's not possible. What is possible is to keep it out of the way you appear to others and how you manage tasks.
- Call each other by your first names instead of "honey" or any other endearment
- Be aware of the "tone of voice" you use, people around you are!
- Make sure that your personal relationship doesn't "trump" your business relationship
- Don't argue in front of the "kids". You'll have conflict, but speak as if you are speaking to anyone else in your company with the same level of respect.
- If things do get heated in a conversation, take it outside.
Of course when you live with someone or are very close to them, the "other stuff" that is your life will not just automatically disappear because the work day starts. The part you can manage is how others see you and WHEN you deal with conflict.